Thursday, August 4, 2016

Of Black Snakes and Bluebirds




Dear Lord,
As we come to You today, please give us a few tranquil moments to fully engage in the message and hear what You would say to our hearts.  Keep the hectic world at bay, Lord, and let us simply sit at your feet and feel Your presence.
It is in Jesus’ Name we ask,
Amen


I love my domestic pets.  Animals that I have called my furry children have run the gamut from wild turkeys to American dingoes.  What I can’t tame, I still enjoy providing for.  I love leaving food outside for the deer, fox, songbirds, opossum, and more.  I fall somewhere in between Noah and Ellie Mae.  It makes me happy that so many creatures feel safe at my home.  I’ve watched several generations of God’s creatures play in my yard, learn to fly from my trees, and grow up under the pines.  I have welcomed them all.

Unlike many people, I have no irrational fear of snakes.  In fact, unless they are venomous, I have no reaction to them at all.  A few summers ago, a five foot long blacksnake took to hanging out around the house.  One day he’d sleep in the butterfly bush, another he’d sun along the edge of the lawn.  He even wound himself occasionally in a dogwood tree that grew alongside my front porch.  It was not unusual for him to crawl across the concrete even as I sat in my rocker.  He seemed friendly enough.  Because he wasn’t venomous, I didn’t discourage his familiarity with my yard.  I never once as much as “shooed” him away from any location he chose.  I was comforted by the fact that I knew he would consume the frogs that frequented my walkway and would discourage any mice from venturing too close.

One day, when Tommy and I returned from a shopping trip and began bringing bags onto the porch I spotted what appeared to be a cowboy boot inside my bluebird house.  I thought it was a boot because of the color and the pattern I saw in the opening.  It took my brain a few seconds to wrap around the reality.  I was seeing snake skin in the bluebird house. 
I called my daddy to come help me. It took great effort to prod the snake into coming out.  I was astonished as all five foot of the black snake emerged from a bluebird house that was less than 1 foot square and already full of nest and nestlings.   When he was out, it was clear---nothing could be saved.  The nest was destroyed.  The babies gone.   The snake had simply done what snakes do.  The problem is that I did not do one thing to discourage it from happening.

The snake felt safe at my house.  The bluebirds felt safe at my house.  The issue was this, the bluebirds had an enemy and their enemy was the snake.  I had provided that snake a comfortable environment on my property in their proximity. I had willingly harbored the enemy of my beautiful bluebirds to devastating effect.  Because I had given the snake free reign of my yard, these parents lost their children.  Their home was destroyed.  Their future of caring for and loving their little ones was gone.  This was a family I would never see learn to fly.  This was a generation that would not live to create more beautiful bluebirds for the woods around my home.   The snake slithered in and destroyed everything because I didn’t think about who might suffer the consequences of his appetite.  I had provided him with a home and ample opportunity to do as he pleased.

In a seemingly off topic subject, I’d like to make a confession.  Now, I’ve been a lifelong church congregational member and have loved the Lord for as long as I can remember.  I am baptized and saved.   I don’t willingly sin.  I carry on near-constant conversations with Jesus.  I have even served on a ministry staff for several years.  But, can I tell you something?  Never once I had I asked the Lord to cleanse me of all sin.  I really had never thought about asking Him to purify me of hidden sin.

One day at church a while back, a lady was giving me her testimony and spoke of her prayer that God “search her heart and uncover any unrighteousness.”  And instantly, I thought, “Wow, I’ve known Jesus as my Savior longer than she has and even I’m not ready to ask Him to do that!”   It bothered me that I felt that way….but, it didn’t bother me enough to rectify the situation for quite a few years.  However, recently it really dawned on me.  I love the Lord, He is abundantly good to me, He has even created a beautiful home in eternity for me, He suffered and died for me….and I have the nerve to willing shelter His enemy, the devil, in my being!!!!!!  It was right then and there, I decided I’d have no more of that!

How had I been so compliant, for so many years?  How had I managed to feel comfortable with permitting the devil safe harbor anywhere in my life?

How about you?  Have you ever asked the Lord to search for satan in your heart?  Have you asked Him to cleanse you of any dark blot?  Are you giving satan a foothold in any area of your life?


Let us break it down for ourselves. 

God is our Father.  Personally, in each of our lives, we can recount a multitude of times (including sending His Son to offer us salvation) that God has loved us, cared for us, tended us, rescued us, taught us, fed us, provided for us and the list goes on and on.  Wouldn’t you agree?

Zephaniah 3:17 expresses this very well - The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by His love; He will exult over you with loud singing.

Psalm 121:3 states: He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber.
Matthew 10:30-31: "But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. "So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.
Now, let us define sin:  To sin is to transgress against God’s divine laws.
God has instructed us, His beloved children, to not partake in sin because the penalty of committing a sin is a death that will eternally separate us from Him.   

God lovingly sent His son Jesus to us to accept the penalty of death upon Himself to pay the price for all of our sins.  However, in order for His death to pay our penalty, we must accept that Jesus is the son of God and that He died to pay our penalty (He offers us the gift of salvation), and we must willingly accept that gift. 

In James 1: 13-15 we read:  When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone; 14 but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.
Hebrews 2:14  speaks of Jesus in saying:  Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, He himself likewise partook of the same things, that  through death He might  destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil.

Throughout the Bible, it is made abundantly clear that satan is the enemy of your Father. 
Examples include:

Revelation 12:9; 20:2 “And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan,  the deceiver of the whole world— he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him …

Isaiah 14:12  “How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low!

Acts 13:10  And said, “You son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, full of all deceit and villainy, will you not stop making crooked the straight paths of the Lord?

Satan, as the enemy of God, seeks to tempt us to engage in sin.
As God’s enemy, satan desires to thwart God’s plans where it hurts the most….satan wishes to make Jesus’ death on the cross a wasted effort by preventing God’s children from accepting Christ and keeping them, instead, preoccupied with the world and engaged in perpetual sin. 

Matthew 13:19 "When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart.

John 8:44 "You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

1 John 3:8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.

Can you agree with me on these points from our scripture reading?  Isn’t it clear that the Lord is our Father and loves us?  Didn’t He send His son to suffer and die to prevent us from suffering the sin-penalty of eternal death that would separate us from Him?  Doesn’t scripture make it clear that the enemy of our loving Father is satan?  Isn’t it without question that satan is at work to keep us sinning and separated from God, the Father that loves us?

Because I thought there was no harm in the blacksnake, I didn’t recognize that he was the enemy of my sweet bluebirds.  I gave him a place in my domain, and from that location, he destroyed their lives.

Because I hadn’t given permission to the Lord to run satan fully out of my life, I was giving his enemy shelter in my very being!  And, from that vantage point, he was free to do whatever damage he so chose with ease and comfort.  Imagine that, me –harboring the enemy of the Lord that loves me!  When I finally realized this, I immediately prayed and gave the Lord full, unhindered permission to run satan out of my yard!

The Lord loves you.  He has been good to you.  He wants to bring you home to live with Him in paradise.  He has an enemy….an enemy that cares nothing for you and has hatred for God.  Do you intend to give satan a place to hide in your heart?

Please join me in our closing prayer:
Lord, too often we have given satan a comfortable couch in our livingroom even when we know of his hatred for you.  We now open the doors to our house wide open to You, Lord.  Please come in and seek out satan.  Open every door, every cabinet…look under every bed and dresser.  Anywhere you find him, Lord, drive him out.  Never again let it be said that this child of Yours gives refuge to Your enemy.
It is in the name of Jesus we pray, Amen

The same Christ that is present in the Old Testament, revealed in the New Testament, and displayed in Creation is the same Christ that is interwoven in the fabric of the lives of His people.  God is the Master of the Universe, yet cares deeply about every tiny detail of your day.  Seek the Biblical lessons to be learned in all of your experiences.  



No comments:

Post a Comment