Monday, January 11, 2016

I'm Right Here Behind You





I’m Right Behind You


Lord,

Thank you so much for giving us a moment together to share in Christian companionship.  We appreciate all that you do for us on a daily basis.  Mondays can be a challenge as we transition from a moment of rest back into a busy school or work week.  Give us the strength we need to be a bright light and good witness for you as we go about our tasks.  Let others see You in us this week.
In Jesus Name we pray.  Amen



My family had just enjoyed a few days at Disney, had returned the rental van, and had parked ourselves on benches to await our train when we heard there was going to be a delay of a few hours.  Anticipating a long, cramped ride home, my husband, my brother, my son, and I decided to leave my parents resting in the shade as we stretched our legs and explored the area.

On foot we went sight-seeing in the sleepy little neighborhood that cozied up to the tracks.  As is typical in that area of the country, each white house we saw had a handkerchief lawn with bright green grass, immaculate shrubbery, the customary palm tree, stucco exterior, and red tile roof.  Each house.  Each block.  House after house.  Block after block.  While beautiful, the absence of diversity drove me quickly to boredom.

When walking down one street we found ourselves back on the railroad tracks just one block over from the station, I spied my opportunity to end the monotony.  I could see that only track lay between myself and the station.  On one side of the track was a thicket of pines, on the other an open field.  Because no houses bordered the track, I decided that the distance between where I was with my husband and where I would be with my parents on the other end was a very safe environment in which to travel alone as a female, particularly because I was in a quiet neighborhood in broad daylight.

So, I turned to my husband and informed him that I planned to walk the track back to my parents alone and that he could continue to walk around the area with my brother and son.  Naturally, he asked if I would like for him to go with me.

Now, I always say my first full sentence as child had to be “Me do it” because I am very independent.  I assured him that I was perfectly capable of walking straight down a track for just one block all by myself.  He shrugged and replied, “Suit yourself.”

I let go of his hand and told him I’d see him in a bit and headed toward the station.  I began to walk, content and warm in the sunlight, not a care in the world.  When I was about half way to my destination, off to my right…on the side with the open field, I saw a car veer off the adjoining side road and straight into the field headed my direction.  Quickly heading my direction.  A car filled with what appeared to be at least 4  men.  4 strange men in a car headed my way….me, a tiny woman on a train track alone in a strange neighborhood with no husband by my side and no safe train station close enough to duck into.  Just me, 4 men heading my way, and the ominous, overwhelming realization that I’d wished I had not chosen to go on this journey of unknowns alone.

When suddenly, I heard just one sentence calmly spoken from just a few feet behind me in a familiar voice….the words were simply “Don’t worry.  I am right here behind you.”

As quickly as my fears of imminent danger had risen in my heart, they subsided with the sound of that reassurance.  My husband, Kevin, had decided to let me enjoy my independence—well, at least in my mind---while he devotedly followed me at a distance, there to aid me should I need him.

Earlier I had assured him that I didn’t need him.  I cannot begin to tell you how happy I was that he knew better and had kept a watchful eye on me.
Where did the car full of men go?  Why had they pulled off the road that day and into the empty field?  I do not recall.  I am sure I was so overcome with relief and the deep realization of what could have happened that I noticed little beyond incredible gratitude. 

From childhood on, I have had an independent streak.  A “Me do it” attitude.  Has that carried over into my spiritual life?  Have I tried to do things on my own without permitting the Lord to come along with me?  Have I assumed I can tackle this world alone, without Him?

What about you?  Are you plunging into unknown areas of your life and not allowing the Lord to walk alongside you?  Did you know that He not only offers to openly travel through this world by your side, He has promised never to leave you alone?

The Bible is clear, the Lord wants to help us in our time of need.  He wants to be by our side during the trials of our lives.

We cannot predict from one day to the next what we may encounter.  Fortunately, many times the unexpected can be something delightful like a visit from an old friend, or a good report from a medical test.  However, not one of us will get through this life without an unexpected, stressful event or circumstance taking us by surprise.  Perhaps it comes in the form of a health issue, or a child that is making self destructive choices.  Maybe our challenge is aging parents or a broken relationship.  Maybe betrayal by a loved one.  No matter the nature of the difficulty, the intense heat of a firey trial can be overwhelming and isolating if we try to walk through it alone.  Are you in the midst of a heartbreaking situation right now?  Are you trying to walk through it alone?  Or are you grasping the outstretched hand of the Father?

I would like to relay, as a summary, a familiar Bible story from Daniel Chapter 3:

 King Nebuchadnezzar made a huge golden statue and set it up in Babylon.  He then summoned all the important government officials to come to the dedication of the statue and they stood before it.

Then the herald  proclaimed, “Nations and peoples of every language, this is what you are commanded to do:  As soon as you hear the sound the music, you must fall down and worship the image that the King has set up. Whoever does not fall down and worship will immediately be thrown into a blazing furnace.”
 Therefore, as soon as they heard the sound of the music, all the people fell down and worshiped the statue.

 At this time some astrologers came forward and denounced the Jews.  They said to the King, “May the king live forever!  Your Majesty has issued a decree that everyone who hears music must fall down and worship the statue, and that whoever does not do so will be thrown into a blazing furnace. But there are some Jews whom you have set over the affairs of of Babylon—Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego—who pay no attention to you. They neither serve your gods nor worship the image you have set up.”

Furious with rage, Nebuchadnezzar summoned Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. So these men were brought before the king, and he said to them, “Is it true that you do not serve my gods or worship the image I have set up? Now when you hear the sound of the music, if you are ready to fall down and worship the image I made, very good. But if you do not worship it, you will be thrown immediately into a blazing furnace. Then what god will be able to rescue you from my hand?”

 The men replied to him, “King , we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand.  But even if he does not, we want you to know that we will not serve your gods or worship the image you have set up.”

 Then Nebuchadnezzar was furious with the men. He ordered the furnace heated seven times hotter than usual and commanded  soldiers to tie them up and throw them into the blazing furnace.  So these men, wearing their clothing, were bound and thrown into the blazing furnace.  The king’s command was so urgent and the furnace so hot that the flames of the fire killed the soldiers who put the three men in it.

 Then the King leaped to his feet in amazement and asked his advisers, “Weren’t there three men that we tied up and threw into the fire?”

They replied, “Certainly, Your Majesty.”

He said, “Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods.”

 Nebuchadnezzar then approached the opening of the blazing furnace and shouted, “Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, servants of the Most High God, come out! Come here!”

So they came out of the fire, and the government officials crowded around them. They saw that the fire had not harmed their bodies, nor was a hair of their heads singed; their robes were not scorched, and there was no smell of fire on them.

 Then the King said, “Praise be to the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, who has sent his angel and rescued his servants! They trusted in him and defied my command and were willing to give up their lives rather than serve or worship any god except their own God.  Therefore I decree that anyone who says anything against the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego be destroyed, for no other god can save in this way.”

Do you know the One that was in the blazing furnace with these men? Though the furnace heat was hot enough to kill those near the entrance, weren’t these men of God kept safe within?  Did the fact they were supernaturally protected account for the unsinged hair and the absence of the smell of smoke on their clothes?

Did you notice that God protected them from within the fire?  He could have kept them completely out of the furnace had He chosen to…but, instead, He went into the fire with them and protected them from harm.  They did not have to face the heat alone and the evidence of God’s supernatural protection was upon them.  The complete trust the men had and their willingness to rely on faith in their trial made a believer out of a previously unbelieving king.

In my train track experience, I was able to see a Biblical truth in what God revealed to me in the events of that day.  Upon reflection I knew that I had often told God I could manage on my own, but had found myself repeatedly grateful  that He was by my side when I was unexpectantly tossed into a firey furnace.  His ever present help in my times of need came has always been as sweet a relief as hearing my husband’s words of “Don’t worry.  I am right here behind you.”

Knowing that the Lord not only wants to help you in your trials but is fully capable of protecting you from being consumed in the fire, will you permit Him to walk by your side?  Will you pray for His guidance, His presence, His help?  Will you then testify to how He delivers you from your tribulation so that your testimony might bring a non-believer into full faith in our Lord?


Father,
We realize that our sins break Your divine laws and that the penalty for our transgressions is eternal death and separation from You.  We are grateful that You sent Your own beloved Son as a sinless sacrifice for us….that His death atones for our sins….that because He paid the penalty of death with His death we are given an everlasting life.  We openly confess our full faith in our salvation through Jesus Christ.  Help us, daily, to grow in our personal relationship with Jesus, so that we will better know the One that died so that we will live. 

Thank you for your promises that we do not have to walk through this world alone.  We are grateful for the Bibilcal examples you have given to us of your mighty power to save and are humbled by the fact that even in our own lives, you give us the opportunity to personally witness Your faithfulness to us in our time of need.

It is in the name of Jesus we pray, Amen



The same Christ that is present in the Old Testament, revealed in the New Testament, and displayed in Creation is the same Christ that is interwoven in the fabric of the lives of His people today.  God is the Master of the Universe, yet cares deeply about every tiny detail of your day.  Seek the Biblical lessons He is teaching you in all of your experiences.   

No comments:

Post a Comment