Monday, January 18, 2016

A Pair of Tortoise Shell Sunglasses


A Pair of Tortoise Shell Sunglasses



Until my late 30s, I had been incredibly blessed to work in the same field, with the same coworkers, in the same fantastic department for nearly twenty years.  In that period of time, I worked under the leadership of only two different bosses.  Both were fair, hardworking, kind, and I considered both to be true friends.  They created a work environment that encouraged excellence, but still managed to maintain happiness and fulfillment on the job.  Yes, as I said, I was blessed.

But, as will happen in many places of employment, there was a changing of the guard and my department  gained a new boss,  a man that had a different set of values and ethics than those in his charge, a man that didn’t care to create a positive atmosphere and instead created widespread unease and distrust.  I went from a thriving flower to a shriveled pile of dry petals within the first few months of his reign. My workdays became filled with anxiety and new stresses and an incredible sadness as I watched my coworkers experience the same. 

I found myself trying to figure out what my future held for me.  Should I stay and stick it out, or should I hit the want ads and leave a job that had been like a second home to me for nearly two decades.

As with many of you listening today, I soon discovered that overwhelming mental stress will take a toll on you in ways you cannot easily control.

I began to have difficulty concentrating to the point that even my driving was affected.  I spent quite a bit of time in a mental fog.

One particularly stressful day, I left work and realized I’d forgotten my pair of sunglasses in the locker.  Determined not to return to obtain them, but in need of a pair to drive home in the bright summer sun, I made a stop a nearby pharmacy to pick up a new pair.  I walked into the store half looking for sunglasses, half trying to remember what I’d even come in to buy.  I bypassed the sunglass kiosk more than once.  I saw a store associate in one of the aisles, so I asked for her help in locating the glasses.  Much to my embarrassment, she pointed out the nearly 6 foot tall Foster Grant stand that was only a step or two away. 

I said, “Thank you,” and apologized for not noticing the obvious display, explaining that I was having “one of those days.”

I selected a pair of tortoiseshell framed glasses, grabbed a Coke and a pack of Nabs and headed for the register.  The same helpful store associate went behind the counter to ring up my few items.  After receiving my total, I began to dig around in my disheveled pocketbook in search of the correct number of bills and coins. In my peripheral, I took notice of the cashier’s actions. 

She cut the price tag off the sunglasses, spritzed them with eye glass cleaning solution, and gently wiped each lens with a soft cloth.  I slid my money across the counter.  The cashier simply said, “Here you go” and placed the sunglasses, ready-to-wear, gently into my hands. 

Perhaps it was a combination of things….the culmination of many months of mounting tensions….the resulting mental exhaustion…..  Whatever it was, this simple act of kindness, that of a woman silently cleaning my new pair of cheap sunglasses and handing them to me to wear effort-free, brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat.

I wanted to tell her “Thank you” for what she’d done.  I wanted to tell her how profoundly her display of caring affected me.  I wanted to tell her how her demonstration of a servant’s heart renewed my spirit.  But, the lump…that lump in my throat prohibited me from telling her anything.

With a simple nod and a quick exit I made my way out to the parking lot where many weeks worth of tears were spilled alone in my car.  The crying jag resulted in a release of pent up emotions and I found a bit of much needed relief.  I was grateful to God that He had placed me in the path of one of His own.

A few days later, I went back to the store to track down the cashier, to tell her all that I’d wanted to relay that day. I explained how her act of kindness towards me came at a time when I was in great need of an act of affection.  She smiled sweetly, but didn’t seem the type that needed or wanted attention for her efforts.

Two of her coworkers overheard our conversation and caught me as I walked to the door.  Both quickly chimed in that it was “typical” of their teammate to do sweet things for her customers and staff members.

Her simple act of kindness had a great impact on me that she could not have known ahead of time.  Am I aware that the little things that I do for others are having a beneficial impact that extends beyond what I intend or foresee?  As a Christian, could it be that my demonstrations of love towards my fellow man can point others toward my Savior in some way?

What about you?  In your life experiences, you have gone out of your way to do something nice for someone else.  You have been kind and generous.  Do you understand that your tiny seeds of compassion are being watered by Christ and are growing into a glorious bloom beyond your capacity to comprehend?

The Bible is clear, when we give generously of ourselves and display the love of God towards others, He can and will use our efforts to bless even beyond our own ability.  We are to concern ourselves with what we CAN do by our own means, and have faith that the Lord is doing even greater things with the product of our labors.

If you will, please turn in your Bibles to Acts 9:32 This is the NIV Version

As Peter traveled about the country, he went to visit the Lord’s people who lived in Lydda (lid ah). There he found a man named Aeneas (ah knee us), who was paralyzed and had been bedridden for eight years. “Aeneas,” Peter said to him, “Jesus Christ heals you. Get up and roll up your mat.” Immediately Aeneas got up. All those who lived in Lydda and Sharon saw him and turned to the Lord.

In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (in Greek her name is Dorcas); she was always doing good and helping the poor. About that time she became sick and died, and her body was washed and placed in an upstairs room. Lydda was near Joppa; so when the disciples heard that Peter was in Lydda, they sent two men to him and urged him, “Please come at once!”

Peter went with them, and when he arrived he was taken upstairs to the room. All the widows stood around him, crying and showing him the robes and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was still with them.

Peter sent them all out of the room; then he got down on his knees and prayed. Turning toward the dead woman, he said, “Tabitha, get up.” She opened her eyes, and seeing Peter she sat up. He took her by the hand and helped her to her feet. Then he called for the believers, especially the widows, and presented her to them alive. This became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord. Peter stayed in Joppa for some time with a tanner named Simon.

Now, as Acts 9:32 begins, we learn of the healing power of Jesus Christ flowing through Peter into Aeneas.  Aenas is healed from his paralysis immediately.  Because others in Lydda and Sharon saw the power of the risen Christ in this miraculous healing, they turned to the Lord.

But, I would like for you to pay particular attention to the next account of healing given.  The term “disciple” is defined Biblically as a follower of Christ.  Tabitha of Joppa is referred to as a disciple.  Her designation as a disciple already tells us a great deal about her, but the narrative goes further.  We are told that Tabitha was always doing good and helping the poor.  That is what one would expect of a disciple of Christ. 

During her lifetime, was she aware of how grateful others were for her acts of kindness? Did she know that her actions positively impacted others?  Did she ever receive encouraging feedback?  We are never told.

Tabitha died when Peter was in Lydda.  The disciples in her area sent to men to travel from Joppa to Lydda to find Peter and urge him to return with them quickly.  No doubt their familiarity with healings and stories of those that had been raised from the dead by Jesus Christ bolstered their faith that the very same could happen for Tabitha if Peter would consent to come back with them. 

Now, recall, in Biblical times, orphans and widows were among the poorest, most vulnerable in a community.  With no rights of their own, and no man to provide for them, a widow was at the mercy of others….what she received was at the hand someone that was both kind and generous. 

Tabitha had been kind and generous.  She had been kind and generous with this group of widows in that she had sewn robes and clothing for them.  Again, recall that in that day and age, articles of clothing were not inexpensive or easy to obtain.  A gift of a robe or article of clothing was a valuable one indeed…one that represented great cost, time, and effort to present. 

Tabitha had been kind and generous with a group of women that were the most in need of her affections and attention.  Her handiwork so treasured by them, that they clung to it at her death and displayed it for Peter as evidence of her sweet, caring spirit and her benevolence towards them.  Their tears spoke of the impact this Godly woman had made on their lives.

Peter prayed and with the power of Jesus Christ, commanded Tabitha to rise.  She arose and Peter helped her to her feet.  He called for the believers to come in to the room…..the Bible mentions specifically that Peter especially called the widows into the room, to present Tabitha to them alive.  It is obvious that because Tabitha had such a profound impact on these women, it was only proper that they be among the very first to see the miracle of her resurrection.

Because Tabitha’s caring service and servant’s heart was significant to a group of widows, her death prompted them to seek a miracle to restore her back to them.  Because they sought Peter and his prayers brought Tabitha back from the dead, her resurrection became known throughout Joppa and many people came to a belief in the Lord.

Tabitha could not have known that sitting, devotedly stitching together a few robes and undergarments would eventually result in a widespread faith in her Lord…..  But, she did know that a follower of Christ is kind and generous and she acted on that knowledge.  She did what she was able to do, to show others the love of Christ, and in being humble and faithful in her service to those in need, Christ was able to use her to draw many people unto Himself in a way she could never have foreseen.

For me, the experience of a cashier’s efforts to ease my day a little resulted in many positive outcomes.  My burdens were lifted that day.  My love of mankind deepened.  And, in reflection, I could see how I should never downplay the potential value of doing good for other men, women, and children in my own day-to-day life.  It became clear that I can never know what the Lord intends to do with my acts of kindness, I am only to reach out in love the best that I can and let Him take it from there.

As you go about your day, when you have the opportunity to lighten someone’s load, will you do so more readily?  Will you trust the Lord to do great things with your humble efforts as His disciple?

No comments:

Post a Comment