Saturday, February 14, 2015

The Shepherd's Charge






The Shepherd’s Charge


If you owned several head of sheep,
Innocent, defenseless sheep,
Sheep that you love,
That are of enormous value to you,
Sheep that you actually gave your life for….
And you placed them in my care,
What type of care would you require of me?
For these sheep?
These innocent, defenseless sheep?
These sheep that cannot adequately detect danger?
What vigilance would you expect from me …
Over your sheep?
Knowing that I know how much you love them?
Knowing that I can detect danger where they cannot?
Or do not…

You would expect me to protect them as you would.
You would expect me to watch out for danger.
You would expect me to alert them to danger.
You would expect me to lay down my life for your beloved if need be.

Would you ever accept this from me? ...
“One of your sheep was harmed because I wasn’t paying attention.”
“One of your sheep is gone forever because I didn’t fend off the wolves.”
“One of your sheep is in the hands of another because
 I didn’t want to upset them.”

Would you accept that from me?
Would you accept my negligence as the reason one of your
 precious sheep was not safe?

No excuse of laxity be accepted from me.
In fact, because I am a shepherd,
I cannot be excused from the responsibility of the sheep.
The question of their wellbeing will be asked of me.

If my calls of “Be careful, harm awaits you there”
Or a gentle push from a staff when they near the edge of the ravine
Troubles them,
Be mindful that I have been charged with the care of the sheep.
I will be asked later why they came to harm.

Better my answer be that
They would not listen

Than for me to say that
 I was silent when danger came nigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment